We do not engage third parties to use products or raw materials that have been manufactured with hazardous chemicals or potentially hazardous chemicals in our place. In order to assume responsibility towards our customers and the environment in accordance with our Corporate Governance Principles, we insist on compliance and monitoring of chemical-free products and production standards with regard to our core business. Our chemicals policy serves as a guideline for both our business partners and ourselves for the implementation of sustainable procedures for designing chemical-free products, production processes and complete supply chains. For each new product or raw material that we purchase or a partnership in which we participate, a member of the Board of Directors must confirm in writing that compliance with this policy has been documented and met.
2. Scope of application
The Chemicals Directive applies to all our products, our internal production and logistics processes and the supply chain to the source of our raw materials.
3. Commitment to chemical-free products and production
For all relevant private label products RICHARD BEHR & CO. (RIBECO) Demands compliance with all legal requirements and aspects of chemicals in 2008 and 2010, taking into account the "three most important measures of a chemical-free business" for the production and trade of products:
- 100% chemical and toxin-free products
- 100% chemical-free production without permanent chemical footprint
- 100% application of the same standards for packaging
We are committed to chemical-free products, packaging and production standards at all stages of the supply chain.
RIBECO Pursues the goal of actively expanding its range of 100% chemical products, production and packaging, which originate from production sites that have been proven to apply chemical standards that go beyond the legal requirements. In addition, our suppliers are obliged to comply with minimum chemical standards at all stages of the production chain, i.e. from the fattening farm to the processor to the shop (see Corporate Governance Principles / Chemicals Act 2008 and 2010). RIBECO Is a member of the Business Environmental Performance Initiative BEPI and implements its standards and codes of conduct along the entire supply chain
4. Requirements and implementation
We are actively committed to compliance with chemical standards and have already taken concrete measures to this end in the following areas, among others
Chemical customer standards
Our customers are among the strongest drivers and champions of industrial convergence in our industry towards sustainability standards for products, packaging and production. We work with our customers to help them formulate their standards and objectives and monitor progress towards achieving them. We follow our highest customer standards.
Requirements for our products and raw materials
RIBECO Procures products exclusively from manufacturers who comply with all local and international sustainability standards and/or are certified accordingly. This allows us to avoid the use of chain elements that contribute to environmental pollution.
Textile-related environmental chemistry topics
RIBECO Follows all textile environmental and chemical issues and always strives to lead the latest standards, tests and labels.
- All our products are Ökotex certified and are therefore tested by third parties. Our Oekotex certification proves that no harmful substances are emitted - neither in our fabrics nor in our fillers
- All natural fillings are Daunasan and Daunafresh certified, which guarantees environmentally friendly processes and HYGIENE according to DIN EIN 12935.
- We are third party DETOX suppliers who check that no toxic water is released into the environment throughout our supply chain, which is particularly sensitive to bleaching and dyeing processes for the fabrics of our products.
- We are increasingly buying organic, GOTS and Fairtrade certified cotton
Third party audits
- RIBECO Uses the following third-party audited standards to monitor compliance with these guidelines:
- RIBECO Is certified for the use of Oekotex for its fabrics and fillings
- RIBECO Produces NOMITE labels for allergy sufferers
- RIBECO Issues Downafresh labels for compliance with EU hygiene standards
- RIBECO fabrics are certified skin-friendly by the Hohenstein Institute
- RIBECO And our entire supply chain is IDFL certified and audited.
Detergents and cleaning agents
As far as the development of detergents is concerned, the detergent industry is subject to the legal provisions of the Chemicals Act 2008 and its extension in 2010, which prohibits the testing of purer ingredients on animals as long as there are both scientifically satisfactory and practical results alternatives to the relevant tests. In addition, all products tested by RICHARD BEHR & amp; CO. are vegan and biodegradable, which means that no animal ingredients are used in their production and they do not leave a sustainable footprint in the environment.
5. Active implementation
At RIBECO We implement our chemical requirements in close cooperation with our suppliers. Our internal requirements are implemented by the purchasing departments with the support of the responsible corporate governance drivers. Specific requirements, targets and measures are also implemented in close cooperation. We monitor the implementation at our suppliers and carry out risk-oriented assessments. We reserve the right to have the requirements of our chemicals policy checked by internal and/or external audits if necessary. In addition, we expect our suppliers to ensure that all employees who are responsible for handling products, machinery or packaging that have an environmental impact are effectively trained to carry out routine practices in a way that minimises pollution qualified to promote good standards of chemical use in their areas of responsibility and in accordance with the Chemicals Act 2008 and 2010. This Chemicals Policy forms part of our Terms and Conditions. In cases where non-compliance with our policy is identified, suppliers must submit corrective action plans clearly stating how relevant non-compliances can be resolved within a specified timeframe. The managing directors are regularly informed about the status of implementation.
We strive to continuously improve products in our range to make them more chemical-free. In this context, we always consider the wishes of our customers and the market environment. The transition to chemically freer alternatives includes the following:
- Expansion of the range of certified organic products,
- Expand the range of vegan products
- Expansion of the product range to include GOTS and Fairtrade certification
- Implementation of pilot projects to promote high chemical standards
- Improvement of "chemical-free" conditions for conventional products in cooperation with our suppliers.
As we want to offer more chemical-free products, an exchange with external partners is essential. We are therefore in close contact with NGOs, representatives of science and stakeholders.
Pilot projects and measures
RIBECO Actively implements sustainable practices in our products, packaging and production processes as required. Here are some pilot projects that RIBECO Already implemented today:
- Our water treatment plant has helped us to save water and keep our costs low since the beginning of the nineties.
- The use of exclusively biodegradable detergents has enabled us to dispose efficiently of the small amount of waste water we have.
- Best marks of all bedding manufacturers on mcgindex.com for suppliers of sustainable hospitality
- Partner in the pilot program of the first international hospitality providers to create a chemical footprint; led to the best position of a bedding manufacturer
- Completion of the self-assessed STeP audit for sustainable and chemical-free production
- DETOX certification for all our fabrics, as finished products and as raw materials, especially for bleaching
We are committed to maintaining these measures, expanding them and adding further measures as technology becomes available. We are also part of other pilot projects and initiatives that are shaping our industry and its sustainable performance:
Every year the current chemicals policy is evaluated and, if necessary, adapted. In the long term, this is the only way to ensure chemical-free and responsible sourcing of our products, packaging and production development. In addition, we formulate goals and evaluate the extent to which these goals have been achieved on an annual basis.